There’s nothing quite like kicking back after a hard day, switching on your gaming console, and playing your favorite game.
If you have a PS4, you have all the more reason to celebrate since you can enjoy a long list of fantastic games, including exclusives. However, if you don’t have a TV or if it’s broken, you don’t have to put your gaming on hold.
You’d be delighted to know that you can use your laptop as a monitor for PS4. You won’t need a robust gaming powerhouse. Just about any laptop with a functioning screen can be turned into a display for your PlayStation.
The catch is that it’s not as easy as plugging your HDMI cable to get the job done. The process is more than just doing that. Fortunately, there’s more than one way of doing it.
To help eliminate the cloud of confusion, I’ve laid out a step-by-step tutorial in this post that’ll walk you through everything you need to do to use your laptop as a monitor for PS4. Prepare to experience the best of gaming on the go!
Benefits of Using a Laptop as a Monitor for PS4
Using your laptop as a monitor to play PS4 games on can be incredibly rewarding, besides being convenient. Here are some of the many benefits of it:
➡️ Quick Solution When Your TV is Occupied
Irrespective of whether you live with roommates or with family, sometimes the TV can be occupied by another person. Maybe your roommates are watching their Netflix series, or your little brother just cannot miss out on his favorite cartoon.
In those cases, using your laptop as your monitor for PS4 is the best solution. It’s like your personal portable screen that you can utilize anytime.
➡️ More Portable
Laptops were made to be portable, so it’s obvious that when you connect your PS4 with it, you can enjoy portability. Whether you want to take your gaming sessions to the next room or another house down the street, it’s all possible when you’re using your laptop as a monitor.
You’re not chained to the spot where your TV is. Game wherever you want, whenever you want.
➡️ Better Display
While this may not be true for everyone, but chances are, the TV in your house may not have a better display than your laptop. A lot of the laptops have top-notch screens that allow you to take in all the visual stuff in the best possible way,
I am talking about better resolution, sharper images, and maybe even a smoother framerate. I bet you’d want your games to look as good as possible, and that’s achievable with most laptops these days.
Now that we’re aware of the benefits of using your laptop as a monitor for PS4, let’s learn how to go about doing it.
Using PS Remote Play
PS Remote Play is a very handy app by PlayStation that allows you to “stream” your PlayStation content on third-party monitors (in this case, your laptop screen.) In addition to playing games, you can do other things, such as browsing your console’s menu.
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty of using your laptop as a monitor for PS4 using Remote Play, let’s first look at everything you’ll need for this method. Gather the stuff in the checklist beforehand to have everything under your belt right from the get-go.
- PlayStation 4
- Functioning laptop that won’t heat up at the sight of a PS4 game
- USB cable or a wireless USB adapter
- PlayStation network account
- PS Remote Play app
- Fast internet connection of at least 5Mbps
Once you’re all set, follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Turn on your PS4 and put it on rest mode after you turn on the Enable Turning on PS4 from Network option from settings. This will allow you to view the console’s content on your laptop.
NOTE: Ensure that your PlayStation firmware is updated and compatible with your laptop’s software version. If you’re not sure whether you’re up-to-date, you can confirm by going to the settings and making sure that your console is operating on version 3.50 or above. If not, update it before proceeding further.
- Step 2: If you have a controller for your PS4, connect it to your laptop via the USB cable.
- Step 3: Download the PS Remote Play app on your laptop and launch it.
- Step 4: From the app, sign in to your PlayStation Network (PSN) account. Make sure you sign in with the same account you use for your PS4.
- Step 5: Next, you can tweak the app’s settings to make sure it runs smoothly on your laptop. For example, you can set the screen resolution at 720p for optimal performance or lower the frame rate.
- Step 6: Select PS4 on the PS Remote Play app and press the start button. The app will then detect and select your PlayStation in the system for you to start playing.
And that’s it! You can now stream and enjoy your favorite games on your laptop.
Using Video Capture Card
Another nifty way to use your laptop as a monitor for PS4 is using a video capture card. These cards are used for several purposes, including streaming gaming video on a laptop. You can grab a suitable one from Amazon.
The gameplay videos you watch online of gamers moonwalking their way through adventure games on PS4 (or other platforms) use capture cards for streaming. Before diving into the method, here’s what you’ll need:
- A laptop and an active internet connection
- Dual-function HDMI cable
- Video capture card
- PS4 with File Sharing option enabled
|Capture Card, Audio Video Capture Card with Microphone 4K HDMI Loop-Out, 1080p 60fps Video Recorder…||$32.99||Buy on Amazon|
Below are the steps to use a video capture card to play PS4 games on your laptop:
- Step 1: Start your PS4 and enable the file-sharing option from settings. For this method to work, you must stay connected to the internet. If you don’t have a wireless connection, you can use an ethernet cable; whatever allows you to have stable internet.
- Step 2: Connect your laptop to the video capture card via the USB port. These cards come with a comprehensive installation suite, so it’s pretty easy to set the program up and get it running. Make sure your video capture card is compatible with your laptop and PS4.
- Step 3: Once the program has been installed, connect your PS4 and VCC via an S-Video cable. Now, using your HDMI cable, attach HDMI-in with the capture card and HDMI-out with PS4.
You’re pretty much set. All you need to do now is turn on your PS4, and voila! Your laptop has turned into a monitor after auto-tracking your console.
Playing PS4 games on your laptop screen is a unique experience with numerous benefits. With the methods discussed in this post, you’ll be able to turn your laptop into a monitor for PS4 seamlessly without the need for a TV.
It’s a major plus point if you have a strong internet connection because it’ll help run the games smoothly, and you won’t face any frustrating issues.
Next, find out how you can solve Network Error CE-32930-7 on PS4.
Adnan is a BMS graduate and a senior games writer at Sparkian. He’s a gaming enthusiast with plenty of knowledge of the gaming world, including the latest games, strategies, and epic adventures. Besides gaming, he loves to write about tech… read more